4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses

4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses
“Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird, That cannot fly.” ~Langston Hughes *pictured: '4Shoes Bookends'

Sunday, 31 July 2016

Memories of Gold

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or to usher storm, but to add colour to my sunset sky."   ~ Rabindranath Tagore
One day soon, there will be more free time again to write stories & enjoy internet visits with people whom we may never meet in person, & yet, who are friends just the same. 
In the meantime (like most farm & country folks) I am kept busy with happy chores in my gardens &  hours of loving toil in the summer kitchen putting up 'goods' for the winter pantry. I tend to the hens twice a day, & must admit that those gals take very little work for the steady supply of fresh eggs. 3 times a day I go look after the rabbits, who take a lot more time & work but who are endlessly cuddly & cute & make me laugh every day. Morning & night is feeding time for our two little pigs, Schnitzel & Chops, who will eat anything I put out & are such clever creatures. 
Our little band of horses are sleek & happy, though they have a decided smell of campfire from standing out in the hot smoke smudges that are the only reliable bug deterrent in this bush country. Each of the 3 are always happy to go out for a ride, so long as we don't ask in the middle of the day, which gets the equine equivalent of 'the finger' every time.
Each night, before I drift off to sleep, I take time to be grateful for our bountiful life, for our happy & healthy children, and for the love & commitment that Mr Shoes & I have for one another that just keeps growing deeper every year. 
Today Mr Shoes is busy converting 2 more free entertainment units into bunny hutches - just one more thing on the never-ending list. We have hauled our hay for the winter & will haul straw bales out of the fields in August.  With the help of his brothers, Mr Shoes has put in another thousand feet of fencing in anticipation of the arrival of our 3 miniature Herefords in September; 2 shelters are on the drawing table that must be finished before winter as well. 
2 weeks from now we will be hosting our 9th annual Family Gathering weekend here on the farm & there is always such a lot to prepare for... From meal planning to sleeping arrangements, & everything in between. 
It can all be so chaotic, but the memories are so golden.
"A happy marriage has the tranquility of a lovely sunset."  ~Ann Landers
 My wish for each of you this summer is that you are also busy making golden memories to treasure. 

~Join up with Chicken Chick's Bloghop~

12 comments:

  1. Lovely and thank you for sharing this peaceful moment. Seems as if it reach just over the ocean to me. Just came home from an early morning ride without saddle. Fits to your thoughts from the mood. For me just the early morning hours are possible to go out with the Ponys, in the evening it is too hot and way too many flies.
    What is hot smoke smudges?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sabine,
    We light a hot fire of dry straw & branches in the bottom half of a metal drum. Then we layer rotten old hay & wet stuff to create thick smoke; the horses crowd into the smoke & the bugs leave them alone for a while. A time or two there have been curled up whiskers from them getting too close to the barrel, the bugs here drive them crazy otherwise.
    In yours & Pepe's case, golden memories indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your thoughts on enjoying the season. Even though it's been so hot that we look for things to do inside this has been a beautiful summer for us. Enjoying the moments before they pass us by. I love your thoughts and your comments on my blog. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the heat + humidity that makes me think I might die...
      Thanks for stopping by Vickie!

      Delete
  4. Good you have a full and beautiful life ~ Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can share here; thanks for visiting Lannie!

      Delete
  5. Summer is a busy time at your house, and you are a blessed woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you begin this, with those who are friends just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, the to do list is never ending!! I can picture (and smell) the campfire, and it brings back memories of time at camp, years ago. I'm sure the horses enjoy the bug deterrent!
    In response to your comment on my blog about hay cuttings...yes, 5 cuttings is the norm here. Makes for a crazy summer! Jim usually starts in early/mid May, and finishes up in September. He figures about every 3-4 weeks for a cutting. we have on a rare occasion even had 6! Every area is so different in how our seasons are, etc. and I find that so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hard to imagine 5 cuttings a year!

      Delete

Pony Up some Words & I'll 100% Hit you Back!

4Shoes Life would be happy to exchange Blogroll Links upon request