4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses

4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses
“Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird, That cannot fly.” ~Langston Hughes *pictured: '4Shoes Bookends'

Monday, 13 February 2017

Not Exactly Spring Cleaning

There is no DOUBT that Mother Nature is just f*ing with us (because, here at least, Winter is far from over yet), but it's 8*C (46*F) here today. We've just gone through another cold snap, & so pee & poo & straw & shavings were all frozen into a solid mass. All you can do when it's that cold is to just add more shavings & straw to bury the mess til it warms up. Today everything has softened enough in the Rabbit Shack to give the hutches a really good clean out. I love clean hutches! It's also warm enough to bring the buns outside for a while, which they LOVE!!
Water bottles tend to freeze solid here, so the buns eat snow for water in the winter time (just like wild bunnies do) which is served in old  loaf pans. I needed new loaf pans anyways. 
This might look like garbage to you, but I see gold! Bunny poop is considered a cold fertilizer (as is chicken poop), so you can add it straight into your garden. All the bits of straw & shavings help to loosen the soil, & they break down over time. There's 2 cans today but, since there's a never ending supply, this is actually going out to the compost heap. When the garden boxes are actually visible again, then I'll dump some bunny gold in along with some already composted material to refresh my dirt before planting time. 
Because no post that has anything at all to do with rabbits would be complete without an actual bunny picture, this is my newest doe, Red. When I named her, she was more red than brown, but you'll have to take my word for it. If I'd known how she'd shed out, I would have named her Sable. Red joins Siggy & MJ in Floki's little harem. 2016 saw 40 growers put up in the freezer with just the 2 does; adding Red into the rotation means I should be able to put up at least 60 growers this year.
Rabbit is the #1 heart healthy meat, leaner than pork OR chicken, & absolutely delicious! Plus, bunnises are so nice to raise (& easy for Mr Shoes to process) that I've abandoned any thought of meat birds altogether. To hell with The Borg Chicken Collective!

8 comments:

  1. I love your latest addition Red...you are right, it's middle name should be Sable I think! Thanks for the great post, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute bunny! We had rabbits several years ago (just for pets), and we enjoyed them so much until they started escaping from their hutch. We gave them to some friends who breed rabbits and have a better home for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a pretty little gal, and a great snuggler.

      Delete
  3. Cute bunny. I seriously don't think I could eat anything I named though. I've never tasted rabbit but my husband has and likes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't name the growers, only the keepers. Mr Shoes doesn't do day to day care, he only handles the processing; we find this way no one's heart suffers about them. They taste much like chicken, but richer (if you can imagine what I mean) & the meat cooks more quickly.

      Delete
  4. Rabbits are so adorable we had one named The Big Bopper he was black and huge! He was house trained lol he'd use a litter box :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my mother having a house bun once, until it chewed up some electrical cords!

      Delete

Pony Up some Words & I'll 100% Hit you Back!

4Shoes Life would be happy to exchange Blogroll Links upon request