4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses

4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses
“Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird, That cannot fly.” ~Langston Hughes *pictured: '4Shoes Bookends'

Tuesday, 7 February 2017

Pumpkin Puree

Cut a whole pumpkin into manageable pieces. Pare the skin from the flesh with a sharp knife -OR- bake with skin on & remove after baking. Put pumpkin sections into a roasting pan, add 1/4 cup of water, cover & bake @ 350* for about an hour. Test pumpkin flesh for tenderness & adjust cooking time accordingly. 
Once completely baked, pour off the water* & pay attention only to the flesh. Baked pumpkin flesh is very tender, but has strings throughout (as do other squashes). Blitz the flesh in your food processor to get the smoothest puree. *If you are particularly frugal, save the juice & use it up in a soup or a stew later on. I will sometimes claim to pretty much have a deathgrip on my purse, yet I opted to pour the pumpkin water overtop the dogfood (the Saint & Manic approved). 

One of my handiest kitchen appliances; I have been using this Braun for at least 25 years!

I use plain old ziplock sandwich bags; get them out & roll down the edges to keep the zip tracks clear.

Portion out the puree into batches; I put 2 cups of puree into each bag because my recipe calls for 1 cup increments of pumpkin. Squeeze out all the air from the bags before sealing them up, then lay them out flat for easier storage.
 Who ever makes just ONE pumpkin loaf anyway, amiright?!? At the 4Shoes, that'd be grounds for an uprising (the menfolk do like their baked goods).

Hint: Slide your flattened baggies of puree into another, larger freezer ziplock bag & seal that up for double protection of your afternoons' labour.

As a general rule, I prefer to clean up as I go along rather than do a big wash up at the end. I do have a dishwasher, but usually only fill it once every 3 or 4 days; washing up big or odd-shaped pieces saves a bit on time & electricity.

Lay the big freezer bag full of baggies on a flat surface in the deep freeze to maximize storage.  Shhh, pretend you don't notice that I labelled some of the meat we put down last month 2016 instead of 2017; purely accidental.... several times. But the point is, I know it's the 2017 meat because all the 2016 is.... gone. Mostly eaten, but the last of that tough stuff went to the dogs once we had the new meat finished. True story. Also, I know that you are right now staring at my smoked bacon & salivating...... & you should be, it's beyond delicious.

And this is why I always make at least 2 loaves when I bake.... this first loaf wasn't even cooled down before the menfolk were on it hard

6 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be good doing this. I just buy it in a can when I need it. But I admire you for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frutcher's wife gave me the pumpkin & i could not let it go to waste!

      Delete
  2. I do mine in the microwave, cut it like you are gonna carve add a bit of water and wala in a few minutes (7-10) you have soft pumpkin. Then I mash it with a potato masher cause my food processor is tiny and easy peasy :) Would you share the loaf recipe tho?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Crystal! I'm trying out a new topping for this loaf (requested by Mr Shoes) so I will post the entire recipe here... well, i won't promise the day just in case I get sidetracked (Who? Me?) but keep watching & I'll get it up pdq!

      Delete
  3. Nice work! Apparently, pumpkin puree is good for dog's indigestion and our Wolfhound's breeder told us to freeze some and keep it around. I didn't do that. I had some for a long time, but I never froze it. I purchased a baking pumpkin and could not get a knife through it to cut it into pieces. I had to bake it and then cut it in half and spoon out the seeds, etc. Also, I didn't puree mine enough and the pumpkin was lumpy and awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plain canned pumpkin works just as well - both for the doggies and for baking!

      Delete

Pony Up some Words & I'll 100% Hit you Back!

4Shoes Life would be happy to exchange Blogroll Links upon request