4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses

4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses
“Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird, That cannot fly.” ~Langston Hughes *pictured: '4Shoes Bookends'

Thursday, 9 February 2017

Snow Garden

4Shoes Gardens of Sadness Snow
Yesterday I was visiting Taylor Made Homestead, only to see that Tammy's place already has early flowers blooming! Not gonna lie, I felt a little pang of ... anticipation. Also maybe a pinch of envy. 
Tiny Orchid on kitchen table

Spring flowers were about the last thing I was thinking as I fed the cattle & put the horses up in their stalls; it got down to -38* (-36.4*F). Even the barn cats are crabby about the deep freeze, which has been made worse by a series of dramatic rises & dips in temperature. When it gets cold & stays cold, everyone & everything just hunkers down & accepts that winter is in the house - can I get a wootWOOT?! 
No. No damn wootWOOTs for winter right now when I have flower envy, dammit. 
New stalk of buds last week
This winter, Mother Nature has been a benovolent lady & a wicked nasty crone, depending on the day. She has been as mercurial as a toddler; some days turning her back on us completely to leave us shivering even inside the house, then other days smiling upon us as her most favoured & up jumps the mercury to -2*C (28.4*F). 

Listen Lady, thanks for the thought & all, but that 40 degree loop is totally boning us. 

Here Mother Nature, have a beautiful flower! Maybe this will sweeten your sour days & get you in the mood for Springtime in Canada? 

Probably not; but if I stare at this Orchid long enough, it'll eventually happen.
~Joining up with Happiness is Homemade bloghop~ 

19 comments:

  1. I'm going to go buy myself roses today. Mother Nature has truly pissed me off this year and I need a shot of sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is about the time of year when Mr Shoes will think to pick up a $5 bunch of tulips for me. He's a smart man. You totally deserve some roses!

      Delete
  2. Well, yesterday it was 62F and today we had a blizzard with high winds, thunder, lightening and about 14 inches of snow. Temps aren't as bad as yours, I can't even imagine having those temps for days in a row. We were around 26F. I'm sure you would think that felt like Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure too that having a big storm like that rattles the heck out of the area not used to it; hope y'all are dug out & warm!

      Delete
  3. We're getting a major storm right now! Spring cannot come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heard about that on the news; hope you're dug out & warm by now!

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous too. I looked at the flowers at the supermarket yesterday. I should have bought one or two or three. Cheaper than a trip to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could reply back to you when you comment but sometimes it just won't let me. I can't wait for your recipe. Those chicken wing prices are ridiculous here too. Sometimes I break down and buy them though! I'll come back for your recipe.

      Delete
    2. Isn't that the truth? I never long for Florida though; the tulips tide me over.
      I have to run & use Mr Shoes Computer to make any comments on Blogger sites (even to reply on my own blog); I believe it's something to do with 3rd party cookies but Mr Shoes hasn't had the time to look at my laptop for me yet. When he fixes it, I'll be sure to tell you just how he did it & maybe you can fix yours too. I made the wings yesterday so when I get my pictures loaded then I'll post that recipe.

      Delete
  5. Our winter in Germany is colder and longer as the years before but far away from your temperatures. Now I'm in Berlin and here is a wind that reach out to my bones. Nevertheless Ponys are happy with this sort of dry coldness, but they are longing for green I can feel that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooo BOY, I hear that! Wind makes cold just so much worse. My horses are dreaming of green pastures too - hay 4x a day just doesn't qualify as 'green' to them.

      Delete
  6. We have a blizzard coming. When the snow starts or sun sets, whichever comes first, I'll tuck in the chickens and ducks, fill the wood rack, and put up water. I'm taking a snow day by the fire to write, read and knit, and to plant some bulbs I put in the freezer last fall. I didn't get them planted. They're sprouting now so I hope they survive and give me spring flowers while there's still snow on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we get an early storm in fall when I still have flowers, or a late one when they're peeking up, if I have advance notice of the weather I will throw a sheet overtop the plants. I wonder if that would work where you are? Snow days... I still love them. Well, I love the part of them that is not spent outside doing chores. Haha

      Delete
  7. I hear ya on the spring envy. Happens every year for me when all my southern blogging friends are rhapsodizing over daffodils and forsythias and we are plowing the snow. Just have to take heart in the fact when they are all roasting, we'll be enjoying the nice cool breezes of summer. It all evens out in the end.

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly so for me also Jane! And you're so right; when they are posting how it is too hot to ride, that's prime time for us here in the True North Strong & Free.

      Delete
  8. I too have spring Envy we have temps this week that make it feel like spring, but she has teased us before so I hold off hope at least till March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being as I'm actually from AB (but now trapped in MB), I feel ya Crystal!

      Delete
  9. Yes she has been a mercurial as a toddler. I'm watcher snow up here on the mountain after a week of such warm weather that our three feet of snow melted. I have flower envy too. I love the winter but can't wait for the verdant smells of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah, the smells of Springtime, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Thanks for stopping by Beth!

    ReplyDelete

Pony Up some Words & I'll 100% Hit you Back!

4Shoes Life would be happy to exchange Blogroll Links upon request