4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses

4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses
“Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird, That cannot fly.” ~Langston Hughes *pictured: '4Shoes Bookends'

Sunday, 23 April 2017

Canadian Reality Show


Rick Mercer is a Canadian treasure, as are the polar bears of Churchill, MB (which sits right on the shore of Hudson's Bay & is about a 9 hour drive from the 4Shoes). We are not world travelers, but then again, we don't need to be when we live in such an incredibly diverse & beautiful country of natural wonders. 

When we lived north of Edmonton, we could see the Northern Lights dancing every night; it was the part of my then work commute that I enjoyed & miss most to this day. The 4Shoes is so much further south (than our AB home) that we are rarely treated to a light show here. In fact, we've only seen the Northern Lights from the 4Shoes 3 times in 10 years, & we are always watching for them.
One of those 3 nights, Mr Shoes had been on his way home from work when he saw the lights; he got so excited that he pulled over to call me from the side of the road so I wouldn't miss them. I was way ahead of him though, & already had our chairs set up outside & full mugs of Irish coffee close to hand.
 Please enjoy these little slivers of our True North Strong & Free, because this Canadian reality show beats television any day of the week!
~hooking up with AIM link party today~

18 comments:

  1. You're so lucky to have seen them. I never have but would love too. My daughter did see them when she was traveling in Europe and said it was amazing. Someday I might get lucky if I ever travel far enough north and see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are breathtaking & I hope you get the chance to see them one day.
      When I saw them almost nightly, I always admired them, but now I wish I'd spent more nights in a lawn chair with a cuppa to hand.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen them- I want to- it's on my list of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for you, you won't need a passport to go see them someday!

      Delete
  3. Those were fun to watch. The polar bears look so huggable and harmless when they aren't trying to maul someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I would love to pet one - notice the look on Rick Mercer's face when he asks what the rifle is for? Haha
      We're encroaching too much on their territory there that bears walking through their own natural habitat should be considered 'nuisance bears'. But, Churchill has been there a long time; I think more dogs are probably mauled than people though.

      Delete
  4. I haven't ever seen them either, but an Irish Coffee and a light show sounds perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Manitoba night sky is BLACK. I mean, most nights you would have better luck seeing clearly inside of a cow. So when the lights do come, they stand out like crazy. It's one thing to watch a video, but seeing them in person is an almost ethereal experience.

      Delete
  5. No chance in Germany ... And I wonder how it would change me to experience such a nature spectacle. It can't be just about seeing. You are a lucky one ... in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that phrase, 'nature spectacle' Sabine, & you're right, it's not just about the seeing. It's also about the absolute sense of wonder(!) & genuine amazement(!) that a person can feel when they see the Northern Lights dancing - it brings out the inner child to see such magnificence in our natural world.
      Now I feel that, although I admired them almost nightly for decades, that I didn't appreciate them enough... so now when they appear, we make all efforts to celebrate with them as they dance.

      Delete
  6. I do love the northern lights, we see them a lot out here, not as mush as up north but its dark here so they show up really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope this post has anyone who does see them regularly treasure the sight just that little bit more.
      Dark?
      O HELL yeah, we know from DARK @ the 4Shoes!
      Mr Shoes often says if you take more than a few steps down the driveway you end up in an Elvis on velvet painting, super black velvet. It's like stepping into a cow & closing it up behind you kind of black.
      Oh yeah, we know from dark.
      :-)

      Delete
  7. Seeing the Northern Lights is on my bucket list. There are some Southern Lights but I don't think they're as impressive as yours are. It's a long way from Australia to Northern Canada - but I'll get there one day! Might even stop in for an Irish coffee on my way :)
    Leanne | cresting the hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on up Leanne, the coffee pot is always on at the 4Shoes, & keeping it Irish is just good manners!

      Delete
  8. Mrs Shoes, that is fabulous! I would love to see the Northern Lights in Canada one day. I'm sure it would be an unforgettable experience like seeing the Grand Canyon for the first (only) time. Nature is so much more impressive than anything man can create.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for attending the #WednesdayAIMLinkParty. I shared your post on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Twitter.

    ReplyDelete

Pony Up some Words & I'll 100% Hit you Back!

4Shoes Life would be happy to exchange Blogroll Links upon request