4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses

4Shoes 'BOOKENDS'; Morgan Horses
“Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird, That cannot fly.” ~Langston Hughes *pictured: '4Shoes Bookends'

Wednesday, 5 July 2017

How're MOO Doin'?

Now about 15 months old, this mini Hereford heifer is up to about 700lbs. Lucy is a flirty lass - she's always "making cow eyes" at Crispin. 
Ethel, or Halfhorn**, is just as bad as Lucy - the 2 of them sashay their butts around him shamelessly.
"Hey Mrs Shoes, it's called a biological imperative, you know! And we don't appreciate being slut-shamed." 

Out the window one day I see the bull flat out... not moving at all. "Oh no!", I thought. "Has he had a blue balls heart attack?"
*Notice the 2 slutty heifers just as close up to his gate as they can possibly get?

From right outside the fence, he still looked dead.

"Thanks a bunch, Nap-Killer. This tremendous fart should have you simultaneously both reassured & repulsed."


**Halfhorn is a result of incorrectly applied dehorning paste by the breeder - Strike 1. You cannot see them, but Lucy has small horn tips under her hair - Strike 2. 
Obviously, Crispin goes around half horny all the time (running joke here) - Strike 3. 
Dehorning paste applied by that breeder?  100% FAIL. 

*This all cow post is for Sabine, of Friendly Hairy Creatures, who runs with her ponies and who would like to see an all cow blog. Sabine, my friend, this is for you!*

10 comments:

  1. Ha goofy cows. Our bulls do the same thing look like they are dead. I'm so glad we have hornless cows, I use to work at a place that bred herefords and they burnt them off at branding time, seemed to work quite well on the ones they saw, there was always a few missed ones. That's Neil's job at one branding the paste, I think it seems to work well, the key is getting enough on and not getting it on yourself. He got a burn hole on his foot last year, it burnt about a toonie size hole, overnight in emergency to clean it off. Only bonus is he said it didn't hurt so that made me feel better for the calves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah Neil - funny story though not at all funny at the time I'm sure!
      The people we bought these cattle from ........... let's just say this - they didn't admit that they didn't vaccinate (!?!) our cattle, or ANY of their cattle for that matter, until after we pressed them for more answers. Only let it slip because they were wanting to rent pasture & the guy that owned the land wanted proof of vaccination on the whole herd - before that demand they had NEVER vaccinated for anything. Had we known this earlier, and other little things, we'd have "steered clear" of them. Pun intended. From what we saw of their herd, their paste application skills suck dust because it was hit & miss through out.

      Delete
  2. I know nothing about raising cows but I think yours are a very good looking bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't claim any great expertise either, but I do think they look healthy & shiny, so Thank You on behalf of the 4Shoes Mucca Trio. :-)

      Delete
  3. Dear Mrs Shoes, I just found out! And thanks to you I had a really nice laugh this early morning. They are beautiful, very beautiful and you did what I wanted: Introducing the cows and their characters! Nap-Killer I learned a new word :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bull is pretty dismissive of me unless he's standing there waiting for grain, then he's all like, "Whatever, yeah, I'll touch your damn hand. Now dump the grain and fuck off."

      Delete
  4. oh! You have made me crack up! I bet it really wasn't funny though till later! He was a stinker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gave me a little scare, just by the way he was laid out like that. Stink? Ohhhh yes, bull farts stink.

      Delete
  5. I don't know much about cows either, but I love reading about yours. My husband asked a cowgirl (about 15 years ago) if cows had personalities. She laughed and said of course! She said they have just as much personality as horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would tend to agree that cows have individual personalities, b ut I sure wouldn't want to ride one! Haha

      Delete

Pony Up some Words & I'll 100% Hit you Back!

4Shoes Life would be happy to exchange Blogroll Links upon request